2024-09-05

A Pokey Star, A Steal of a Deal and Hills of Chocolate

 Random.org chose the following as my random card of the day. This 2020 SkyBox Metal Universe #33 featuring Joe Pavelski of the Dallas Stars.


Pavelski just called it a day on a fine career. Put up 1,068 points, but I'm not sure he's going into the HOF. 1 time all-star, only ever got Hart votes in 2 season. Falls into the 'really nice player for a long time, but not an all-time great' category for me at least. FWIW - that Dallas sweater is an underrated good look.

As an aside, how can a guy have both 'Pokey' and 'Joe Exotic' as nicknames ?


I have catalogued 26 Pavelski cards and 745 Dallas Stars cards in my collection.



My favourite new card I added to my catalogue recently is this 2019 Upper Deck Fanimation #F-26 featuring John Gibson of the Anaheim Ducks.


It was in a dealer's value box at the last show I attended. I didn't realize how rare this insert is, and obviously the dealer didn't either, so it seems I scored myself a pretty sweet deal.


New additions to my all-time roster project catalogued yesterday were:

My All-time roster project now stands at 15,079 combinations.



My random postcard of the day is this card from the Philippines featuring the Chocolate Hills on Bohol Island.


They are a karst landscape with the hills covering at least 50 square kilometers. They get their name from the discoloured brown grass during the dry season. The area is a proposed, but not yet listed UNESCO World Heritage site. This card is written and was received through an exchange on an online postcard forum. I currently have 11 postcards from the Philippines catalogued in my collection.

2 comments:

  1. I was a big fan of Pavelski during his years in San Jose. Never called him Pokey or Joe Exotic though. I mainly heard him referred to as Little Joe or The Big Pavelski. But when talking among friends... we'd mostly refer to him as Pavs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude has 7 nicknames listed at Hockey Reference. That's approaching WWE wrestler level of number of aliases.

      Really nice player though.

      Delete

A Viking, A Viking (SKOL!) and a Window to the Stars.

 Random.org chose the following as my random card of the day. This 2020 Panini Select #37 featuring C.J. Ham of the Minnesota Vikings. Ham a...